What is the Apprentice Austin Program?
- A unique program for the top students from all area colleges designed to develop tomorrow’s Young Professionals and the future leaders of Central Texas
- An 8 month, 10-14 session mentoring opportunity for a student to learn from a local leader in an area of their career interests/pursuit
- Mentors give 1 hour every other week to their apprentices (based upon calendar availability) to help guide the student on career development, make contacts/network in Austin and beyond, and offer general work and community awareness
- Program kicks-off with a launch party and culminates in a graduation ceremony with the apprentices, mentors, local leaders, key stakeholders from the University, and sponsors
What are the benefits of the Program?
For Students – Apprentices
- Build your network – 80% of jobs are filled by who you know (not what you know)
- Test drive a career – shadow your mentor and see if it’s what you expected
- Learn the ins & outs – learn the good and bad about a career/industry from a peer who is in the position currently
- Get a FREE annual AYC Membership – become a member of the largest young professional org in TX and get access to exclusive events each wee
Click HERE to apply to be an Apprentice
For Professionals – Mentors
- Connect with tomorrow’s top talent – Apprentices are being hand-picked by the schools, so these students are the best and brightest and the future leaders of Austin
- Share your stories – help tomorrow’s job seeker/young professional skip your mistakes or follow your shortcuts to success
- Remember the excitement and energy – the most common feedback we have received from Mentors is that the program gave them a renewed interest in their own careers
- Get a FREE annual AYC Membership – extend your membership or join the AYC and get access to exclusive events each week
Click HERE to apply to be a Mentor
Schedule for the program?
- Apprentice application period 09/15/2011 – 10/01/2011
- Apprentice selection and announcement by 10/05/2011
- Mentor and Apprentice matching announcement by 10/15/2011
- Launch party the week of October 17th
- Apprentice Austin Program period 10/24/2011 to 04/13/2012
- Celebration Dinner with all Apprentices, Mentors, Program Sponsors, and University Presidents or liaisons in mid April at UT
Who is Austin Young Chamber of Commerce?
The Austin Young Chamber of Commerce (AYC) is the fastest growing organization in Central TX with nearly 1600 members and over 10,000 friends since July 2009. As the second largest Chamber of Commerce in Austin and largest young professional organization in the State, the AYC’s goal is to develop and connect young professionals in Austin to create business, community and individual success. The AYC provides its members and the community:
- Unique social networking opportunities to help develop peer to peer relationships on both a personal and professional level
- Individual growth and skills development through education and a monthly speaker series from nationally renowned experts
- Opportunities to get involved in community and civic activities to improve the quality of life